Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Personal Moral Compass

The morality compass I have created includes four things that make up most of my life and have the utmost importance to me. These happen to be my future, friends and family, school and education, and last but certainly not least change. All of these contribute greatly to make up my life as a whole. They all are very crucial in the maintaining of my success and happiness.
At the very top of my compass is a simple but powerful component- my future. It is composed of simply two words that can bring with them so much room for curiosity, potential, and preparation. My future to me means endless possibilities. I organized for this to be at the very top and center of the compass because everything that I currently do in the present day is to set myself into a position of which is conducive to success in the future. I take many steps to ensure a great future for myself and never let the goal slip my mind. However, I always find myself stuck, wondering, what will I turn out to be? Will I accomplish what I am intending to or something even bigger? The future holds within it endless pathways and decisions which can either lift you to ultimate success and happiness or in the blink of an eye shatter your dreams right before you.
Another topic of importance to my life is my friends and family. This category of my life is incredibly important to me in the way in which these people have been there for me through everything. I have had the same friends since I was little and had no idea who I was, what I wanted to do with my life, but they have helped me discover that and pushed me in the direction of success and I am unable to describe to them how thankful I am for their help. My parents always nag me about grades and college and athletics but I know it’s for my benefit so I try not to protest and instead be thankful that they care and want to see me succeed and do great things. They are a crucial piece in the puzzle of my future because without them it wouldn’t be complete and nothing would be in its right place. I know they will stay with me and be there throughout my future guiding me the right direction.
Now when I say this it may sound like I am describing myself as a nerd, but schooling and education are of so much importance to me. My life revolves around getting an education to therefore succeed in the future in college and then beyond. Like I said everything I do now I do it for my future and almost all of that preparation involves education. Since I was little my parents have stressed the importance of education in life because their parents never stopped them and made them finish their homework or made them sign up for SAT’s or visit colleges with the sincere intent on attending a four -year school. My parents now regret not seeking the education they needed to become successful and be ultimately happy in life and they want more out of life for me. They don’t want me to follow in their shoes and be unsatisfied with my job and financial situation because believe it or not, that throws everything else in life out of whack too. They strive to prepare me for success and a happy life and to get more out of my time then they did theirs. The fact that they never had a parent there pushing them to do well in school and other activities hurt them a lot in the long run so now they make sure to bother me about homework or get on me about test grades or tell me what I could’ve done better in my game that day. I minded it a lot when I was younger but now I don’t because I realize they only want to ensure the best for me.
Lastly, I value change in my life. I am an extremely firm believer in learning from your mistakes and having an open mind to a changing environment. I like when change occurs around me because I feel it is important for humans to exercise their abilities to adapt to changing environments. I want to view the world around me with a mind open to endless possibilities and travel to places I never been before, adjusting to new cultures, languages, and ways of life. I believe change is important for everyone to expose themselves to and I value my own personal exposure to it on a daily basis. That is why it is of such importance to me to appear on my moral compass.

2 comments:

  1. Great job Sydney! I love the fact that you had change in there. Change is a huge part of everyone's life. We have to embrace it and learn from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the inclusion of you're future on you're compass, and the reasons why you put it where you did. The rest of your compass stems ultimately from that one point and everything you do and even your parents is for you're own future and wanting the best. None of the other compasses that I have read have had such a strong focal point that threaded itself into and fortified all of the other points, awesome post!

    ReplyDelete